The West Desk

Welcome to the west desk. this used to be a newsletter, now it's a blog... here we'll discuss problems, funny stories, policy changes-- pretty much anything we need or want to talk about on the job. if you're library security and want to write for it (please do) just email 727 at his gmail. Important: The opinions expressed on this blog are not endorsed by HBLL Security as a whole or the Brigham Young University Police Department.

2006-02-22

The Secret of Spring

So...I was just doing some light reading this weekend in St. George and I came across what is, in my opinion, one of the literary greats of our time. I spent hours and hours reading and have truely become converted to this author. I wanted to share this find with those I love. Here is the oh-so-thrilling-back-cover-synopsis-that-is pretty-much-the-whole-novel-in-a-few-paragraphs. Hope you fall in love as I did.


The Secret of Spring

He's a sentient plant.

Herb Moss is a nice young man. He's a Vegan: a member of a genetically engineered species , part human and part plant. Life is a little dull--everyone keeps telling him it's to put down roots. Surely, he thinks, a little romantic correspondence on the side can do no harm.

She's a magician's daughter...
Mean while, far away on the plant New Land, a young woman named Spring has been living with her widowed father Gabriel, a practicing sorcerer, keeping house and helping out with the business. It's been a good life.

...with a big secret.
But Gabriel has discovered hiterto-unknown magical secrets that can bring their possessor absolute power. And for safekeeping he's sorcerously locked them within his daughter, where on her own true love--or, failing that, someone she likes a lot--can access them. So to speak.

Trouble ensues.
Then, when her father is killed under suspicious circumstances, Spring flees to the shelter of an austere Order, where, grieving she places a personal ad, looking for a pen pal with whom she can discuss botany. Little does she know that her knew pen pal Herb thinks she's interested in romance.
Meanwhile, an ambitious wizard has learned of the existence of Spring's secrets. And he'll do anything to get them...including the obvious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home