The West Desk

Welcome to the west desk. this used to be a newsletter, now it's a blog... here we'll discuss problems, funny stories, policy changes-- pretty much anything we need or want to talk about on the job. if you're library security and want to write for it (please do) just email 727 at his gmail. Important: The opinions expressed on this blog are not endorsed by HBLL Security as a whole or the Brigham Young University Police Department.

2005-06-04

chaos Chaos CHAOS!!!!

Holy crap! What a morning! First of all, I had to be here at 7:30, which may not seem early for some of you, but this is my summer, and 10 or 11 is my usual wake-up time. I stumbled here to work and then panic ensued.

First of all, the East Desk computer is not working very well. Every time you move the mouse, it resets. I don't know. Luckily, I've been trained in the art of "guy" and so I unplugged it, let it sit for a while and then plugged it back in. That worked. But then the keyboard wouldn't work so I had to restart the computer again and then the mouse made it restart again. It was an endless, painstaking process to get the computer to the point it is at now, but it is still being tempramental.

Then, just so you know, Workflows isn't working (neither for us nor for circulation) -- so I have no idea who has checked out what. Oh, and I contacted OIT, but they had no idea what they were talking about. So now I don't know who to call.

Then we got the construction people. They had a problem with the dock door being open, then they had a problem with the recieving door being open, then they had a problem with the elevator back door not opening (we're still working on that -- dispatch didn't know what to do there, either). So they're a constant pain.

Then we got about a thousand deacons and teachers coming in for some family history conference and every two seconds someone is asking where the auditorium is. Then, they needed to know if there was a separate room we could unlock so they could have a prayer meeting and then they had us searching for a hymn book so they could open their meeting (planning ahead, people?).

Oh, and don't forget the constant alarms going off (Instruction rooms, I'm looking at you), the malfunctioning radios and having to work with 739 and 707!!!!

What a morning!!

*Sigh* I wish Scott were still here.

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger hub huxtable said...

Most people would be grateful to serve with the beloved 739 and 707.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Mr. T said...

Let me give you a few hints...

First of all the East Desk is always going crazy...deal with it (its just the morning) and make sure a service report gets in on it.

Next, Workflows has always gone down from time to time and all you need to do is find out what day circulation is stamping on the books and check the stamps.

Third, OIT only helps those who help themselves...meaning if you can't fix it neither can they...you sould know this by now.

As for the construction guys. Feed them B.S... a lot of it. They don't know exactly what the system, or you for that matter, are capable of...make up some other options and make them choose from one that they feel is best.

The auditorium on the other hand is a lot easier to direct people to than say, the north instruction rooms, the south classrooms (as people just don't understand what entering from the south side of the building means), or even easier than the third floor bathroom located just two doors east of the handicap bathroom that some of you may not even know exists but is always locked and can only be used by those who have a key to it, and who knows how the hierarchy of that key situation goes (there is my extended sentance of the comment).

And, anyone knows that there are hymnals in the closets of the south classrooms, specifically the south auditorium. The closet is located west of the computer terminal in the front of the room. If you don't know which direction is west I now understand your problem with the auditorium on the first floor.

Finally, what is the problem with working with 739 and 707. The only problem anyone could have is that they are from southern Utah and I've even forgiven them for that (of course when you are from Iowa you can't say much).

Oh yea, and before I forget, the instruction room alarms...send rove down there and if everything is great...disarm them for a little bit, and have rove check up on it...besides you can always manually lock them.

I'm sorry to tear this apart but Scott isn't here anymore and that means we have to think for ourselves and actually have the guts to do stuff...this may be hard to swallow for some and bubble burster for a few that need to deal with it and "get going" so to speak.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Mr. T said...

No...I wrote it to be annoying...738 was practically next to me as I wrote it.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Mr. T said...

I was recently informed that I didn't have to say anything to be annoying...thanks 739

 

Post a Comment

<< Home