The West Desk

Welcome to the west desk. this used to be a newsletter, now it's a blog... here we'll discuss problems, funny stories, policy changes-- pretty much anything we need or want to talk about on the job. if you're library security and want to write for it (please do) just email 727 at his gmail. Important: The opinions expressed on this blog are not endorsed by HBLL Security as a whole or the Brigham Young University Police Department.

2004-10-12

Self Imposed Rule

So,

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed this or not, but there are a lot of good-looking women here on campus. Since I started working here, though, I made (sort of) a rule for myself not to ask a girl out while I was on-duty and in uniform. I felt that it might be intimidating to them and, therefore, they would say yes just so I wouldn't pepper spray them. However. . .that was a long time ago.

I'm starting to wonder if I would change my rule if the situation arose. Take, for example, the other day (Auric, you know which instance I'm about to talk about). There was a beautiful young lady standing near Auric at the East Desk while I was stuck at the West Desk. She actually talked to him, man! He didn't do anything, though, and she left the library, leaving us all lovesick and lovestruck. And I kept wondering, what would I have done if I were in his place?

Now my question. What do YOU, the reader think of my (now shaky) policy? Do you think it is ok to ask girls out while sporting the blue blazer, or do you think it's unprofessional? Let me know.

3 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Katya said...

As a long time connoisseur of blue blazer eye candy, I feel obliged to give feedback. It would be unprofessional to (a) let a cute girl steal books (b) waive fines for a cute girl or (c) threaten to pepper spray a cute girl if she won't go out with you. Otherwise, I say go for it.

The blue blazers are symbols of authority, but that isn't necessarily intimidating (unless you're hiding something). And authority can be very manly, ergo very attractive. I mean, would you feel bad asking a girl out just because you're ripped, and she might find *that* intimidating? I think not.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger LJ said...

I agree with Katya-of-the-Physics that there are less professional ways to get a girl's attention, such as waving around the pepper spray in the face of an impending shut-down. BUT, asking a girl out from behind the desk poses a few problems:

1) Holding her attention long enough to ask her out without scaring her (ie, not leaning over the desk after making eye contact and screaming, "Will you go out with me?!"

2) Talking long enough to establish a basis for asking
her out (see above) without neglecting your duties

3) Making things not weird. What if she has to say No for some reason? She'll be forever scarred if you make it weird for her to enter this blessed library ever again.

In short, use your head. It'll all work out. I confess, before I started working, I would've loved to get some attention from the blue-blazered boys behind the counter...

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Mr. T said...

Dude, all I can say is...GO FOR IT SUCKA. As long as you are only improving your current dating situation and that she is worth it I say take the shot and get her number. It would be unprofessional not to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home