The West Desk

Welcome to the west desk. this used to be a newsletter, now it's a blog... here we'll discuss problems, funny stories, policy changes-- pretty much anything we need or want to talk about on the job. if you're library security and want to write for it (please do) just email 727 at his gmail. Important: The opinions expressed on this blog are not endorsed by HBLL Security as a whole or the Brigham Young University Police Department.

2004-10-20

The joys of anaphylaxis

Yeah, y'know that feeling deep down inside? That stomach-churning, airway-constricting, finger-swelling, itchy feeling?

Me too.

It's called anaphylaxis, that happy feeling that makes you swell up like Martin Short on "Pure Luck."

On Saturday night I experienced that all-too-familiar feeling. I was getting ready to march down to the stadium for the Homecoming game when I decided that I would need to go to the ER instead. Lips throbbing, pulse racing, hives creeping up my face, and my airways slowly sealing shut.

I have allergies to other foods, so I was frantically thinking if I had consumed any in the last few hours. Then I remembered: a big bowl of salad with walnuts in it.

I had contracted an allergy to the all-American nut that is in EVERYTHING.

So I spent the next hour in the hospital, lying on a paper-covered cot in full band uniform, swimming on a sea of Benadryl and Epinephrine. The doctor asked me if I was going to the game and I pointed to the stripe running down my uniform pants and said groggily, "I'm IN the game."

The conclusion to this story is that I marched the halftime show at the football game in my drug-induced state, then went to bed for 12 hours.

And I've sworn off walnuts for the rest of this frail existence.

THE END

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home