Buzzer Beaters
So, I decided since I'm actually working on the west desk for the first time in a month or so, I ought to contribute something on this snowy afternoon. So here is this weeks sports beat with Stokes:
So, I've been watching a lot of basketball lately - (GO PHOENIX SUNS!) and I am enfatuated with the whole concept of "buzzer beaters" - they're wicked awesome. Maybe it was the fact that I saw like 4 of them in last night's games alone, but I think they're cool, but if you're on the losing end - man, they suck.
Ex 1 - Last night the Heat were playing the defending champion Pistons, scoring a shot with 9 seconds left- thinking they had it won, but never fear - Rip Hamilton gets the inbounds pass from Tayshaun and scores it over Shaq for the win! Thats the good scenario (shaq sucks by the way).
Ex 2 - I watched the Jazz game the other night - they were losing to the hornets (a winless team) for most of the game, came back, and had 2 free throws that would have won the game (which were missed) and then a wide open 20 footer that was missed - and that bit hard - especially since they retired John Stockton's jersey last night.
On another sad note, BYU had no chance of getting close to winning their game against North Carolina on a buzzer beater. Is it just me, or did that whole game look like the first 5 minutes of the championship game from "Hoosiers"? - the black guys that are faster, stronger and can jump higher against the white boys who are obviously over-matched, but atleast we can beat those tough Division II teams.
On a good note, the Phoenix Suns have regained their energetic, enthusiastic play that has been missing since Charles Barkley left, and suddenly basketball is alive in Phoenix again. Nobody can stop Nash-Marion-Staudemire-Johnson-Richardson - look for this team to be a big time contender - despite their lack of a big man. Go SUNS!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home