The post you've all been waiting for...
...pepper spray, and just how bad it hurt. (And all of you who say we're wussies *cough*The Former 786*cough* because we only got sprayed in one eye, I am here to testify that it didn't hurt any less.)
To be perfectly honest, I didn't feel anything for about 15 seconds or so. 709 took my hand and led me to the hose, where he started hosing off my face. (If you want a tender picture-perfect moment of this, you can find it on the far right computer in the control room.)
THEN it started BURNING!!!
It burned like someone funneled the fires of Hell into a big spiked mace, and then smacked me across the face with it.
I couldn't breathe, I couldn't see, and all the orifices in my face were running like a raging river, trying to rid me of the "refreshing" cayenne spray. (I'm pretty sure I either spit on/blew my nose on 709's sweet loafers while he was helping me decontaminate myself. )
"Wait, let me hose your head," 709 offered.
"Okay," I spluttered.
So he hosed down my head, which then trickled some of the fire down my face and neck, soaking my t-shirt. Now I was burning all down my face AND sopping wet AND freezing to death. Goody.
And I couldn't get my eyes open. Could NOT. I would lift my eyebrows as high as they would go, and then squeal, "Are they open?"
"Nope," 709 said.
I lifted my eyebrows higher this time, as if my skull was trying to struggle out of my burning scalp.
"NOW are they open?!"
"No. Look, let me help you," he said, and pried open one eye with the hose-free hand.
Enter the burning-Hell-mace again, this time stabbing my supposedly uncontaminated eye.
"AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!" I screamed, hopping away.
"C'mon, you gotta get your eyes open," 709 said, spritzing me in the face with a water bottle.
"I c-c-can't open my eyes!" I wailed, hopping up and down in front of the fan. "It BURNS!!"
To make a long story short, there was a lot of screaming, a lot of water, a bit of swearing, and about an hour in front of the fans until the worst of the burning stopped. And I had to sleep with an ice pack last night because I recontaminated my right hand when I washed the cayenne out of my hair.
And I wondered, as I stood in front of the fans, my ice-cold fists clenched at my side and my face feeling well-done, why I had ever consented to do it. I'm still wondering.
So there, Former. Comments, all ye sufferers?

11 Comments:
ONE EYE!!! Pfffft.
Back in my day (and everyone else's day before you) we got sprayed in BOTH eyes, from two inches away! And we walked uphill in the snow while doing it!
And we liked it.
And how could you know it "doesn't hurt any less"?
I'm not saying it doesn't still hurt, I'm just saying that it's more of the experience when you can't open either eye and you are stumbling around blind with snot running down your face.
For the record, I couldn't open my eyes (both of them) for about half an hour. I don't know how it happened, since me covering one eye was a cure-all against all pain, but I got smoked in both eyes.
And I don't know if it hurt just as bad. I just wanted to say that.
They made us stay there and open our eyes for a couple of minutes before they would even let us go to the fan...then by the time you got there room in front of them was so scarce you were trying to catch the cool breeze that just happened to find its way past the ten or so others in front of you.
I don't know that it felt just as bad...but its highly unprobable. I know because Barbra Walters visited me in a dream and told me so.
YES IT WAS A TERRIFYING!!!
What's a terrifying? And where can I buy one?
I was saying it with an accent...duh!
Gosh you have pepper spray envy!
Its not my fault you got a wusses excuse for a dose of pepper spray!
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants to give us crap about the one eye spray can <*edited for explicit content*>!! We being sprayed had no say in the matter (and trust me I tried). We were forced to get one eye or nothing at all.
HOWEVER, in contrast, our senior members of HBLL Security CHOSE to not show up at all, and don't even get me started on the tacos! 720 was the sole exception, but that was only because his sister was there.
Shame! Shame on you all. You've successfully killed a tradition that was as long as my . . . well . . . it was long! And I refuse to believe you simply couldn’t have made it. Some times sacrifices have to be made. I sacrificed finishing a lab project so I could get sprayed in only one eye . . . yeah, getting a big fat zero on that one. So how weak are YOU?
P.S. Go ahead and keep pokin’ fun. But one morning you’ll wake up and find you have a little more in common with Hitler than you did when you fell asleep . . .
Why poke Fun...what did they do? Your the one that got sprayed in only one eye. Fun doesn't even work for us, how could he be sprayed?
A) I wanted to go, but some of us got stuck with shifts that night. For a while there hub and I were on two-man.
2)The tradition died over a year ago. I was trying to bring it back. But I guess it's a dream that will never be revealed.
D)"you’ll wake up and find you have a little more in common with Hitler than you did when you fell asleep" What kind of threat is that? What? We're going to wake up with neat little moustaches under our noses? We'll wake up speaking German? We'll have Syphillis? What are you trying to say, Rooster?!?
But I am proud of you guys, I'll say that. You've passed the rite of passage and you're now member of an elite team. . .well, at least half of your face is.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hitler was, what I like to call, a "one ball wonder."
Uh huh. . .please go on.
Post a Comment
<< Home