The West Desk

Welcome to the west desk. this used to be a newsletter, now it's a blog... here we'll discuss problems, funny stories, policy changes-- pretty much anything we need or want to talk about on the job. if you're library security and want to write for it (please do) just email 727 at his gmail. Important: The opinions expressed on this blog are not endorsed by HBLL Security as a whole or the Brigham Young University Police Department.

2006-10-05

What was he thankful for?

I looked up from the desk just as a group of guys walked through the 3M's. Between grins, gufaws, and goretex jackets I caught the fleeting glimpse of a contraband fountain drink as they passed me. Just as the owner of the soda (whom I'll call Sal - just for the heck of it) nestled the straw between his lips again I called out.

"Excuse me, sir."

Despite the fact that I was directly addressing Sal, about ten people (including a very cute blonde girl) turned and looked right at me with "Oh, no, what did I do wrong now?" eyes. Then, before finding out what was wrong, they promptly ignored me and walked farther into the library (the blonde girl included - story of my life). I refocused and looked straight at Sal and turned up the volume a little more.

"Excuse me, but there's no food or drink allowed in the library."

Sal walked a little closer, still sipping. "Oh, it's a drink."

"I know. That's why I said no food or drink."

He took another sip. "But it's a drink."

I paused. "I know."

One of his buddies called out for him to just finish it off. Sal put on a guilty smirk for his friends and swallowed back som more soda. He turned back to me.

I deadpanned.

He relented. "Okay, where's the trash can?"

"Over there by the door."

He trudged over and took another long drag on the straw before dumping the cup in the trash.

"Thanks," I said.

"Thanks, man." He replied.

Huh? Uh, you're welcome ... I guess.

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Rooster Cogburn said...

So . . . the "very cute blonde" that walked out of your life . . . that was in point of fact a female - right?? I was REALLY confused by the whole Sally thing.


I thought you DIDN'T want Stokes peddling "love taps" to you; so I must be way off. Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home