The Ideal Theft
I was talking to a friend of mine in Circ who was commenting on the number of idiots who leave their valuables out for grabs in the HBLL. He went so far as to write a note and leave it on a dumb guy's laptop saying, in effect, "You're pretty freakin' stupid to leave your stuff out."
So I was thinking how much I would love to get a theft report that wasn't, "I walked away and left my $10 million dollar computer out while I went to the Cougareat for my three-hour lunch break and when I came back, it was gone." (Ya think, genius?)
Instead, I would love to have some guy (or girl) come up to the desk and say,
"I have a theft to report. I was huddled in my carrel, clutching my valuables to my body when a man in a black mask, black cape and black top hat came up, beat me across the back with a billy-club, and when I was incapacitated, ran off with my $10 million dollar computer, cackling evilly."
Why the preference? I could actually pity the person robbed. And looking for the thief would be a walk in the park.

3 Comments:
Easy there, Turbo. What kind of parks do YOU walk through?
Okay, this is actually according to the Associated Press handbook. In newspaper writing, you never write the word "dollars" for amounts over $1 million. I'll check up on that and get back to you.
Okay, this is actually according to the Associated Press handbook. In newspaper writing, you never write the word "dollars." Ever. Even if it's only a buck, is's written $1, not 1 dollar.
And since I'm an aspiring journalist, I must follow protocal.
Post a Comment
<< Home